This is a question that you may be asking yourself. It may also be a question that your family may be asking too.
There is no doubt that coming to the decision that “it’s time” is a very difficult one. Wanting to stay in a home that we have lived in for 20, 30, 40 years, in which we have raised our families, entertained our friends and enjoyed throughout the years is not unreasonable at all. What is most obvious though is that there are signs that the time is nearing and that making the decision sooner rather than later may be best for both you and your loved ones.
We certainly don’t want you to wait for a crisis to then be forced to make the decision for someone else or have the decision made for you.
Rather than take a chance and wait for a crisis to occur, it’s better to make the decision to “make the decision” while you are in control, you are healthy and able, and you don’t have a crisis forcing you and your loved ones to make quick and costly decisions.
There are definitive signs that it is time to consider downsizing to a smaller home. By asking yourself these questions, you may find that you are in a situation where it just may be time to downsize :
- Are you having trouble maintaining the condition of your home?
- Are you having trouble cleaning your home?
- Are you finding yourself avoiding the stairs because they are too challenging to go up or come down?
- Are you worried about your personal safety in your home?
- Are you having difficulty taking care of yourself?
- Are you feeling isolated from family and friends because it’s becoming too challenging to go out by yourself?
- Are you feeling lonely?
- Are you worried that medical care isn’t easily accessible because of where you currently live?
- Are you worried that you are or will become a burden to your children?
- Are your children hinting that it’s time to move?
These are just some of the signs that may indicate it’s time to move to a smaller home or retirement residence.
If you feel that it is time to consider the process of downsizing to prepare for a move later in your future, we are here to help.
“Time is more valuable than money. You can get more money, but you cannot get more time. – Jim Rohn